Friday, January 3, 2014

Goals for 2014

It's good to have goals, to have something to look forward to, strive for and obtain. I like to create goals and I think it makes me aware of what I am doing or not doing with myself.  I want to do better, that is the reason why I make a list each year of what I want to achieve.  Over the years, the focus of the list has changed.  As I get older, I am finding more time for myself and so I am able to make changes for me.  I think the last year was the first year that I did a lot more for me and at first, I felt guilty about it but then I realized that I am better for everyone else when I am better to myself.

So, here is my 2014 list of goals:

FAMILY -

Anyone who knows me, knows that my family comes first, as it should. I want to spend more time as a family, the five of us.  We did more of that over the last year and we all enjoyed it.  We went on hikes, went for random road trips, went fishing, went to the lake for picnics, etc.  It is good for a family to have that time with each other without others.  We want to build a strong foundation of what family means for our kids. Our parents did it for us and we want to pass that on. So, here's some goals centered around that.
   
     * Go for hikes at least once a month as a family. Possibly choose a different location each time to discover new places. (weather permitting, we do live in PA)
     * Eat dinner together more.  We don't really do this too often and it's terrible.  Some of us eat at the table, some in the living room.  Usually, I am eating after everyone else because I am busy doing too much to eat when they are.
     * Do one fun outing a month.  I want to go to museums, the zoo, science center, trip around the city, etc. with the kids.  We don't get them out as much as we should.  There are so many places they have never been.
     * Take the kids for a weekend away.  We are planning on a trip to Virginia this summer for a long weekend or a week but we want to do a weekend away, maybe to an indoor water park hotel. We haven't made definite plans on when or which place yet, but we want to do it.
     * Make it to more of the kids' sporting events this spring.  The kids are both doing lacrosse and track & field and I want to be there to cheer them on and see them succeed.  I wasn't able to go to too many last year with work but I hope to this year.

FINANCES-

This could be a blog post on its own but I am going to keep it short and sweet.

     * Save money. We plan on putting away at least $25.00 a week to build up a savings plan.  I know that doesn't seem like much but we need to do it and well, most weeks, that is all we can afford to put away.  I've read the plan that a lot of people are using online, where you save the dollar amount equal to the week of the year.  It is just easier to do a straight $25 and call it a week.  Plus, you save the same amount, if not a little bit more, than that plan.
     * Work more.  Yes, you read that right.  I plan on working more hours to make more money.  I am able to work more than I do but I haven't been doing it.  I am reducing my days at the gym so that I can work more at the rink.

HEALTH-

I am all about improving our health this year.  I worked hard to get back into shape over the last year and I think that a ton more can be done in the way of our eating.  I am so guilty of preparing dinners out of convenience.  I am a box and bag kind of cook I'd say, at least 3-4 days a week.  Lately I have been doing better but I need to improve more.

     * Cook healthier meals that are not out of a box or bag.  Processed foods are not our friend.
     * Start incorporating the Paleo lifestyle into our meals.  I am doing research on this lifestyle and the benefits of it.  The concept is pretty simple actually and I have heard amazing things from people that live it. Words like "life changing" "never been healthier" have really appealed to me.  It's not all about losing weight for me, I want to be healthy.  I want my family to be healthy.
     * Drink more water.  The detox stage of the Paleo lifestyle (notice I am not calling it the Paleo Diet because it is a lifestyle change, not a diet) has you drinking a ton of water to flush your body and start fresh.
     * Schedule regular checkups for all of us.  I am always behind on these so I need to keep a better schedule of them.

FITNESS-

I couldn't not include fitness into my goals because it has become such a large part of me. I have a passion for working out and seeing how strong my body is and how I can change my body.

     * Run 14 races as a part of the 14in2014 group.  These will be a mixed bag of distances and races. Some will be virtual but I'd like to do as many "real" ones as possible. I actually hope to do more than 14.
     * Run two half marathons.  I ran one last year and I will be running that same one again this year but I'd like to add one more in for this year.  If I do them far enough apart, I think I will be fine.
     * Continue to do monthly challenges for different muscle groups.  It's amazing the things we can do as we build up to them.  I find these challenges really fun and I love that my daughter is doing them with me.

MAKING A DIFFERENCE-

So many people and organizations have been there for us over the past few years and I want to give back as much as possible.  We don't always have the resources to help but I will do what I can to help.  Even if it is just sharing on Facebook, I want to get the word out about the organizations that hold a special place in my heart.


The list is big, I know.  I can't do it all in one day that's why they are my yearly goals.  What are yours?  What are you hoping to achieve this year?


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and obviously well thought out list! I just shared my goals for the new year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Goals are great and you will achieve them, I can feel it!

    ReplyDelete