Thursday, January 2, 2014

13 in 2013 Recap

When I started out 2013, I envisioned myself getting back into shape, running more and trying to get healthier.  What I didn't anticipate was running as much as I did, making connections with fitness groups, running groups and becoming addicted to running.

I signed up for the group 13in2013 so that I could hopefully stay motivated to keep running and it worked! I ran 15 races in the year and one of them being my ultimate running goal, a half marathon!!  I often saw posts from people about their half marathons and I never thought that I would be able to do something like that.

Then, I began to wonder why I wouldn't be able to do it.  Here I am, a mom of three, 34 years old and in pretty good shape.  If I am constantly telling my kids that if they want something they have to work toward it, why in the heck shouldn't I be doing the same.  So, I started training.  At this point, I had already had at least 12 races under my belt.  A goal that I wasn't even sure I could achieve.  I mean, I had always wanted to be a runner, I enjoyed being out on the road, by myself listening to my thoughts and clearing my head.

The decision to join the group was probably the best decision I had made in a long time because it kept me focused, it made me realize that I am stronger than I thought and that I can still do things for myself and create goals to push myself.

I am already signed up for 14in2014.  I plan on acheiving that goal and then some.  I hope to run two half marathons this year.  I hope that I can continue to run and keep going when things get tough.  It has been great for my anxiety, my stress and my overall health.

No comments:

Post a Comment