Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Saying Goodbye to Someone I've Never Met.

When I signed up for the IRun4 program, I remember thinking how awesome it would be, how I was going to have a great relationship with my buddy, they would inspire me to do better.  I was going to exchange gifts with them, post a lot of my workouts for them and get to know them. 

That happened.

It has been so great to get to know my "coach" and her family.  They are an amazing, inspiring and loving family.  I got to know them through Facebook and we really connected.  Her sweet smile was infectious and I really truly enjoyed the relationship we had built through the program.

I received a message before Christmas that there were some health issues going on with my buddy.  She was having seizures and something was just off with her.  They decided to do MRIs and scans to find out what was going on.

The outcome and diagnosis was heartbreaking.  Her brain was deteriorating.  She was not going to live a long life.  The doctors didn't know how much time she had but they knew that there wasn't anything they could do for her to change the course of her future.

I sort of panicked.   Here I was getting to know this family and forming a true friendship with this little girl and she was going to die?!  I was going to have to deal with the death of this new, beloved friend.  I really didn't know how I was supposed to react.

This morning, my sweet friend and coach, Eleri, passed away.  She was six years old.  She loved horses, music and had a wonderful smile.  She leaves behind a loving family that changed her life when they adopted her into their loving home and saved her from the life she knew.

My life is forever changed by Eleri.  She will always hold a special place in my heart and I will always remember her.  I will continue to dedicate my miles to her and virtually make my way to her in New Mexico with my cool app that I downloaded. I will always share this experience with her.  I can't help but smile knowing that she is truly free now from all pain, all physical restrictions and from fighting.

Godspeed to you Eleri, thank you for changing my life for the better just by being in it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment