Saturday, January 24, 2015

Half Marathon training in full swing (again)

I saw the graphic on Facebook and I nearly had a panic attack.  Only 100 days until the Pittsburgh Marathon weekend....which means I need to get my butt in gear for training for the half marathon. 

I have decided that I am going to take on a new approach to my training though.  Along with the obvious training runs that I have to do, I am doing as much cross training as I can to help strengthen my core and legs.  I think that it will make a huge difference to how I run and my endurance.

I've taken up yoga, Body Pump, 21 Day Fix workouts and spin classes.  I will do other things to cross train along the way but those are the main ones. 

I went on a 5.60 mile run today in the cold and snow.  It was not easy at all.  It was probably my hardest run ever and I didn't have music to help distract me or get me into a nice rhythm.  I think that may have been the biggest factor.

I got the run in though and I joined the local running store's group run to get it in. I liked it and I am hoping to go again next week when they will have a Saucony rep there so we can try their shoe while we run and see if we like them! 

This is me during my run and the scenery, with my final run results up top.  My time was certainly not the best but that's okay.  The mileage is more important to me than the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment