Sunday, March 3, 2013

MAMAVATION MONDAY: Finding myself

I realize that not everyone is like me.  I know that I am one of a kind....in many ways ha!  I realize that not everyone wants to hear about my running, my workouts, my health and fitness posts, etc. 

I came across a Facebook status of someone on my friends list and she said,
"I am so sick and tired of seeing people post about their workouts on here.  We get that you are going to the gym and working out, nobody cares!" 


Then, one of those funny e-cards that said,

"Unless you fell and smacked your face on the treadmill, I don't want to hear about it!"
 
A few people then commented on the post about how stupid people share about everything they do, whether it is running to the store or sleeping 8 hours.  I thought the e-card was funny (it did make me laugh a bit) but it also sort of rubbed me the wrong way.  I understand that there are a lot of people who are not into running or working out and I get that they don't always want to hear about it.  However, isn't that what social media is?!  Aren't these sites a way for us to connect to others, to share what is going on in our lives?  This is a huge part of my life right now.  I am trying to get healthy, I am trying to reach some goals and I am trying to improve myself. 

In the short time since I began running, I have felt my body change, I have felt my attitude about myself change and become just a bit more positive.  I can't help but feel the urge to share that.  Some people on the social media sites are my family and this is the only way we have contact so there are some who may want to know what I'm doing.  It's not like I am sharing any of my bathroom habits or anything. 

I have gotten ridiculed by our friends for the fact that I share stuff on Facebook but I have been in social media circles far longer than Facebook has been popular so I probably have a different way of doing things.  I don't ever say anything to them about it, I just laugh or shrug it off but who cares what I say on there?!  Why does it really matter to them? 

I am on a personal journey.  I am reaching goals, I am feeling confident and I am changing my life and maybe even my family's life by doing the things I am doing.  I am not ashamed of that.  I am not going to stop posting my accomplishments simply because someone is tired of seeing posts about people working out. 

In the past, I probably would have stopped posting my workouts or runs because I would have wanted people to like me and I wouldn't have wanted anyone talking about me but you know what? I don't care anymore.  I am at a point in my life where I don't have the time to worry about what so-and-so are saying about me or if they unfriend me. 

I have a choice to either workout or not workout, to run or not to run.  I have a choice to share these accomplishments or not share them. When I post these things....people have a choice to read them or keep on scrolling, to unfriend me or not unfriend me. I am making the choice to better myself and workout.  I am making the choice to share my accomplishments with the world because I am proud of myself for it! I am also choosing to be unapologetic about it, because I am me.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, sounds familiar. I get shamed on social media for whining that I feel like poo while pregnant. I had a friend who put on her status something along the lines of "The things you take for granted are the things that someone is praying for, etc". MAKE ME BARF. :p When I need support, I turn to social media to help. It's not fair to write crap like that.

    ReplyDelete