Friday, September 28, 2012

Just One More Time

My husband played high school football years ago...um, sixteen years ago to be exact. Wow, there's nothing like putting it in writing to make you feel old!  Yikes!

Chuck was good at football, he broke a few school records, held a few titles in the football league in the state. He was what you could call a local high school football star.  When you mentioned his name, people knew who you were talking about.  He was being recruited by many, many colleges to go play for them.  He didn't.  I can't quite say why he didn't pursue it all.  It was all so exciting and fun but he didn't go after it.  (I was there through this whole time period because we've been together since I was 15.)

My parents often said that he should have gone on as a walk on with an NFL team (obviously the Steelers, is there any other team?!) to see what would happen.  I swear I think my mom still thinks he can do it, not realizing that he is considered old now...lol.

So, fast forward to the present.  He is a family man, with a wife and three kids.  He works full time to provide for his family.  Some days I'm not sure if he thinks about what could have been had he gone after a football career.  If he could have made it.  I really don't know.  His high school rival played in the NFL and Chuck actually beat him out as Offensive Player of the Year for the Allegheny Conference.  That guy's name is LaVarr Arrington.  Yes, him.  If you don't know who he is, look him up.  Of course, I believe that he had the skill and talent and determination to make it in the NFL but then again, I am his wife so why wouldn't I?

This weekend is our alma mater's alumni football game.  The kid that has organized it has asked Chuck to play in the past and he was just never able to because of work.  He decided to play this year.  So, on Sunday, Chuck is going to get dressed in full equipment as this is a full contact game and see what he can do.  He is in fairly good shape, he stays active, can just go out and run 5 miles and play backyard ball with the guys.  This is sort of different though.  This game, he is going to be playing with much younger guys and against our high school rival.  I would hope that they are not out for blood or anything.  I'm hoping that Chuck doesn't get injured but I think he will know when he needs to stop.  He is taking Monday off of work just in case haha. 

Anyone that knows me, knows that I am a huge football fan.  Especially when I am watching my son play.  He has his dad's talent and skill and often times, Chuck tells him that he is actually better than he was.  I am beyond excited to watch my husband play football again.  He may not be the star he once was on the field but he will always be that star to me.  I think he is excited to just go out on the field one more time and have some fun. 

There are a lot of people going to watch the game and I hope they can show our local rivals what they are made of.   The kids and I will be there cheering Chuck on for what may be his last football game he will ever suit up for......until he decides to play again next year! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment